Am I eligible to sponsor my spouse in Canada? By Phyllis Ramkumar

Am I eligible to sponsor my spouse in Canada? By Phyllis Ramkumar

I am having problems in determining if I am eligible to sponsor my spouse in Canada.

Phyllis Ramkumar is a former Senior Citizenship and Immigration Officer (PM3) 23 years - RCIC.  Bachelor of Administrative Studies from York University. Educator and Designated Subject Matter Expert at L.A.P.E.C.


The eligibility factors varies slightly for the three categories. Since we are dealing with spousal sponsorship in Canada, we will discuss the details of this process. The application forms are the same for all three categories


To sponsor your spouse/common-law partner, you must be at least 18 years of age, a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident living in Canada. However, if you are a Canadian citizen, living outside Canada, you must provide evidence that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored family member becomes a permanent resident. You cannot sponsor your spouse if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.


You cannot be in receipt of social assistance, unless you are receiving assistance for disability reasons. You must provide proof that you have enough income for the basic needs of your sponsoring family members.

Furthermore, if you are sponsoring your spouse/common-law partner who has a grandchild, or a dependent child who has a dependent, you have to meet the Low-Income-Cut-off. This information is provided by the Government of Canada and is published yearly. You will have to complete additional information such as the Financial Evaluation Form in addition to the other Application forms to be submitted with your application package.


Additional factors that can affect your eligibility as a sponsor as a Canadian citizen or permanent resident are; your citizenship status must not be in the process of revocation; you must not have a removal order against you, or your permanent resident status must not be under review for residency obligation. Furthermore, you must not have any serious criminal charges that are pending against you. For e.g. if you have been charged with an offence that is punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of ten years, this situation will render you ineligible to sponsor your spouse or common-law partner.


If none of the above ineligibility requirements apply, then you can proceed with the application process. However, if you encounter problems with the application preparation, you can seek advice from me or other experienced professionals in immigration matters. For a reasonable fee as we can assist you, utilizing our knowledge and experience, so that your application will have a much greater chance of success.

Phyllis Ramkumar.

See Phyllis Ramkumar's CaribFind profile here


Stay in touch with Caribbean businesses. Sharpen your professional skills with educational business content. Receive offers and coupons from participating vendors and corporate sponsors. Sign up for CaribFind's Newsletter


Sign up for CaribFind.Tel Newsletter

CaribFind.Tel Newsletter highlights amazing services and products from the Caribbean. You can receive offers and coupons from participating vendors and corporate sponsors. As a professional you can get valuable tips and advice to grow your enterprise. Join Now!!

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.